4 Easy Steps for Sous-vide Cooking Without a Recipe
Sous-vide with Simmering Basket:
- Prepare the bag(s) with the desired ingredients, season to taste, seal and place in simmering basket.
- Insert simmering basket into mixing bowl and add water, ensure bag(s) are fully submerged. Remove simmering basket with bags.
- Add juice of ½ a lemon and heat Sous-vide/15 min/temperature indicated per ingredient.
- Place simmering basket, with bag(s) into mixing bowl and cook Sous-vide/time indicated per ingredient/temperature indicated per ingredient. Remove simmering basket with spatula and serve, or sear before serving, according to your recipe.
- Preparing: Prepare the bag(s) with the desired ingredients, season to taste and seal.
- Insert Blade Cover. Place the sealed bag(s) on top of the blade cover and cover with water to fully submerge the bags. Remove bag(s) and set aside while the water heats to temperature.
- Add juice of ½ a lemon and heat Sous-vide/15 minutes/temperature indicated per ingredient.
- Place the bag(s) in the heated water and cook Sous-vide/time indicated per ingredient/temperature indicated per ingredient. Remove bag(s) using tongs and serve or sear before serving.
Good to Know…
• The juice of half a squeezed lemon or a level teaspoon of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) must be added to the water to protect the mixing bowl. The amount of water depends on the volume of the bags. Add enough water to fully submerge the bags, and not higher than the maximum fill level.
• Only use the vacuum pack bags once.
• For sous-vide cooking, we recommend buying frozen fish or seafood that has been frozen at a minimum of -4°F for at least 24 hours. Thaw before cooking.
Sous-vide Reference Temperature and Time per Ingredient*
• Asparagus: 5 oz peeled asparagus, 5½ in. long Sous-vide/15 min/179ºF
• Salmon: 5 oz fresh salmon fillet, 1 in. thick Sous-vide/45 min/132ºF
• Medium-Rare Beef Steak: 6-7 oz each, 1 in. thick Sous-vide/1 h 30 min/130ºF
• Beef Brisket: 21-28 oz cut in 2 pieces, 2-2⅓ in. thick Sous-vide/12 h/185ºF
• Pork Chops: 12 oz each, 1⅓ in. thick Sous-vide/1 h 30 min/158ºF
• Pork Cheeks: 3½-5 oz each Sous-vide/8 h/185ºF
• Chicken Breast: 9-10½ oz each, ¾-1 in. thick Sous-vide/1 h 30 min/162ºF
• Apricots: 10½-12 oz, 3 units, halved Sous-vide/1 h/175ºF
• These temperatures and times are the reference after the water is heated.
• If your ingredients have a different weight or thickness, adjust the times.
• Searing meat and poultry after sous-vide cooking will add flavor.
• Marinating meat and poultry before cooking will add extra flavor.